Spicy Sausage & Pumpkin Pici Pasta
Description: Traditional Sienese Pici Pasta, combined with sweet pumpkins and spicy local sausage. It’s a perfect reminder of the flavors found in the hometown of St. Catherine of Siena.
Serves: 4-6 people
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cool Time: 20 minutes
2 cups pumpkin, cubed
2 links spicy Italian sausage, case removed
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium sized onion
1 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
½ cup dry white wine
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, finally grated
How To Make:
- Boil Pici Pasta in boiling water with salt. Cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the starchy water and drain the rest of the pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce by heating a large saute pan with olive oil and adding the sausage. Use two wooden spatulas to break up the sausage into ground pieces.
- Add the pumpkin, onion, and garlic. Cook until the pumpkin is soft.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of rosemary.
- Add the Pici Pasta to the pan with 2 Tbsp of the starchy water. Mix all of the ingredients together, adding a little more starchy water to your desired consistency.
- Plate the pasta with an extra drizzle of olive oil and a dusting of parmesan cheese.