Tacos Al Pastor
A sweet and savory meal to honor the Mother of the Good Shepherd “Al Pastor”
Serving: 4 people
Prep time: 3-4 hour
Cooking Time: 20 mins
2-3 lbs pork butt or loin, or thin pork chops
6 ounces pineapple juice
½ pineapple peeled and cored
½ cup orange juice
¼ cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
4 cloves minced garlic
1 chipotle pepper
1½ teaspoons sale
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ cup freshly chopped cilantro
1 small red diced onion
12 tortillas corn or flour
How To Make:
- Use a sharp knife to slice pork into thin slices. Place in a large pan or a resealable plastic bag.
- In a blender, add pineapple, pineapple juice, chopped onions, orange juice, white vinegar, chipotle, chile powder, garlic, salt and oregano and blend to make the marinade.
- Add the marinade to the pork and refrigerate for 3- 4 hours.
- Heat a skillet or grill to high heat. Working in small batches, sear each slice of pork until cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes on each side.
- When finished, set aside and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the leftover marinade to a small pot and cook until reduced by half for a glaze.
- Add the diced pineapple to the hot pan until charred.
- Roughly chop the cooked pork into cubes
- Serve meat up hot on a warmed tortilla topped with freshly chopped cilantro, diced grilled pineapple, sliced red onion, and a lime wedge.